fetch: Non-recoverable resolver failure

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Sep 28 18:30:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

we are using fetch command from cron to run PHP scripts periodically and
sometimes cron sends error e-mails like this:

fetch: https://hiden.example.com/cron/fiveminutes: Non-recoverable
resolver failure

The exact lines from crontab are:

*/5  * * * * fetch -qo /dev/null
"https://hiden.example.com/cron/fiveminutes"

*/5  * * * * fetch -qo /dev/null
"http://another.example.com/wd.php?hash=cslhakjs87LJ3rysalj79"

Network is working without problems, resolvers are working fine too. I
also tried to use local instance of named at 127.0.0.1 but it did not
fix the issue so it seems there is some problem with fetch in phase of
resolving address.

Note: target domains are hosted on the server it-self and named too.

The system is FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p2 i386 GENERIC

Can somebody help me to diagnose this random fetch+resolver issue?

Miroslav Lachman