SuperMicro i7 (UP) - very slow performance

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 23 08:26:28 UTC 2010

Bryce wrote:
> I don't think it is temperature, I have never seen temps above the low
> 60's C and the speed never goes down from 2.8 Ghz.  This is what I see
> when running your dd for a while:
>
> bryce at tahiti[~]>sysctl -a | grep temperature
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 55.0C
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 55.0C
> dev.cpu.2.temperature: 51.0C
> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 52.0C
> dev.cpu.4.temperature: 59.0C
> dev.cpu.5.temperature: 61.0C
> dev.cpu.6.temperature: 51.0C
> dev.cpu.7.temperature: 52.0C
> bryce at tahiti[~]>sysctl -n dev.cpu.0.freq
> 2801

Looks not bad, but I would checked it during good compilation, using all
cores.

Just to compare, my Core i7-870 with boxed cooler reports:
 31C being idle with tuned power management,
 53C being idle without any power management,
 85C during `make -j16`.
That system did `make -j16 universe` in about 3 hours AFAIR.

PS: AFAIK dev.cpu.0.freq won't report you if frequency was lowered due
to overheating.

--
Alexander Motin