BIND9 built w/--disable-ipv6 on 8.1-STABLE

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 21:02:03 UTC 2010

On 22/09/2010 20:01:48, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Sep 21, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Diane Bruce wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>> Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>>> If I'm still alive when IPv6 is the norm and IPv4 is the exception, I
>>> promise to give it another look. :)
>>
>> IPv6 is more prevalent than you think. I can't understand the illogic of turning it off.
>
> Well, I can't understand illogic either, but it's not too hard to obtain data about the issue and make rational decisions about IPv6 vs. IPv4 networking.  :-)
>
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-57/presentations/Colitti-Global_IPv6_statistics_-_Measuring_the_current_state_of_IPv6_for_ordinary_users_.7gzD.pdf
>
> Quoting from page 5:
>
> "* 0.238% of users have useful IPv6 connectivity (and prefer IPv6)
>  * 0.09% of users have broken IPv6 connectivity
>    That is, adding an AAAA record will make these users unable to view your site"
>
> Approximately 2 or 3 users per thousand prefer IPv6, and approximately 38% of these IPv6 users have broken connectivity, as of [2008].

Yeah.  "Ordinary" users won't like and don't generally use IPv6 because
it is *still* virtually impossible to get consumer-grade items like WiFi
and ADSL routers with IPv6 capability.  Apple equipment (AirPort, etc)
is an honourable exception.  This is really a travesty, and something
that manufacturers should be being browbeaten about at every possible
opportunity.

To counter: IPv6 is not some vague far future thing any more.  The IANA
pool of unallocated IPv4 address space is forecast to run out in May of
next year.  The unallocated pools held by Regional Internet Registries
(RIPE, ARIN, APNIC and so forth) will run out in January 2012.  Note:
these numbers don't even try and account for attempts to obtain and
hoard address space once it becomes really scarce, something that will
probably cause address space exhaustion rather sooner than the current
predictions.

    http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

After that, there are some legacy /8 network assignments from the very
early days of the Internet which are under-used and should be broken up.
 Then it's down to haggling over dribs and drabs of IPv4 space as they
are released back to the registries as part of normal turn-over.  If you
haven't got hold of all the IPv4 address space you are ever going to
need within the next 15 months or so, then you are S.O.L.

Honestly, any company that relies on the Internet for their business and
that does not by now have at least a well-developed IPv6 implementation
plan, urgently needs to fire their current IT management and hire
someone with a clue.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3