SuperMicro i7 (UP) - very slow performance

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Sep 20 11:18:04 UTC 2010

On 2010-Sep-18 08:32:32 -0500, Bryce Edwards <bryce at bryce.net> wrote:
>I have a Supermicro with the C7X58 motherboard and an i7 930 cpu, and
>it is nowhere near the performance it should be.  A buildworld just
>took 22.5 hours!

That does sound a bit poor.  I presume the system was basically unloaded
during the buildworld.

Can we see the output of:
- vmstat -i
- zpool status -v
- df -k
- mount -v
- md5 -t   [this will help determine if the problem is lack of CPU]
- sysctl vm

>I have tested the two system drives independently (currently a zfs
>mirror), so it is not likely to be an hdd issue.

How did you test them and what were the results?

Do you know what revision your
/usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c is?
(Or when/how did you last upgrade your source tree).

--
Peter Jeremy