Freebsd 8.1 + xorg + radeonhd hang

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Sep 19 09:18:19 UTC 2010

On 09/19/10 08:20, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2010-Sep-15 22:29:46 +0200, Eivind E<eivinde at terraplane.org>  wrote:
>> That has crossed my mind aswell, the only thing which makes me doubt
>> it is that after updating X number of months ago (probably about a
>> year and a half), it started to work with no problems whatsoever.
>> Now, after upgrading again, it has stopped working.

In my case, this is exactly the other way around. There was atime when
radeonhd and radeon both worked with radeon boards, even with DRI set to
on. I recall the the time, whe radeonhd was ugraded to semthing like
1.2.8 or so the problems started occuring (in my case)

There is also an issue with SMP. On my private UP box I used a radeon
HD4830, both with radeonhd and radeon (tend to use radeonhd because it
was faster). Since this box got an hardware exchange (same FBSD 8.1 but
with SMP kernel due to dual core, 4GB RAM etc.), both driver, radeon and
radeonhd crashes when leaving a X11 session or sending a 'killall -HUP
X'. The box simply freezes.

My lab's box has now a HD4770 board. The box is also FreeBSD 8.1, SMP
kernel, 8GB RAM. No matter what radeon driver, enabling DRI results in a
immediate crash of the box when X comes up. Leaving a X11 session also
results in a freeze (my crashes are always freezes, there is no
coredump, just a black screen).The same happens with a HD4670 board.
More interesting is the usage of DBUS and HALD. With both enabled, the
box dies immediately when X comes up. No matter whether radeon or
radeonhd is used.
Well, without X, dbus and hald work well. with X.

Regards,
Oliver