SuperMicro i7 (UP) - very slow performance

Bryce Edwards bryce at bryce.net
Sat Sep 18 13:58:23 UTC 2010

I have a Supermicro with the C7X58 motherboard and an i7 930 cpu, and
it is nowhere near the performance it should be.  A buildworld just
took 22.5 hours!

bryce at tahiti[~]>uname -a
FreeBSD tahiti.bryce.net 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Tue Sep  7
22:45:38 CDT 2010
root at tahiti.bryce.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I have disabled "Legacy USB Support" in the BIOS and that helped, but
I'm not finding any other setting that are getting things where they
need to be.

I have tested the two system drives independently (currently a zfs
mirror), so it is not likely to be an hdd issue.

Here's the verbose dmesg boot details - http://www.bryce.net/files/dmesg.boot

And, the IPMI ASL in case that is of any value -
http://www.bryce.net/files/tahiti.asl

Currently, I'm not running powerd, performance is not better with it running.

root at tahiti[/usr/src]#cat /boot/loader.conf
ahci_load="YES"
coretemp_load="YES"

zfs_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:system"
#vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1

kern.maxfiles=16384

# async i/o
aio_load="YES"

# VirtualBox
#vboxdrv_load="YES"

# SMB
#ichsmb_load="YES"
#smb_load="YES"

# Power Saving
#kern.hz="100"

# Disable APIC subsystem - no longer needed when disabling lapic below
#hint.apic.0.disabled="1"

# Disable local APIC (LAPIC) timer - for C3 state
#hint.apic.0.clock="0"

# Avoid 128 interrupts/sec per core, at cost of scheduling precision
#hint.atrtc.0.clock="0"

# Disable throttle control (and rely on EIST)
hint.p4tcc.0.disabled="1"
hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled="1"

Thanks in advance for your time!

::Bryce::