MFC of ZFSv15

Marian Hettwer mh at kernel32.de
Thu Sep 16 11:18:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:42:36 +0200, Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>
wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:53:02AM +0100, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:42:40 +0200, Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>
>> wrote:

>> > Just a thank you message for the v15 development, MFS and this fast
>> > fix. Maybe this is just noise on the lists, but I think that too
>> > little thanks get to the FreeBSD developers, so a little noise like
>> > this may be beneficial.
>>
>> Agreed to that! Thanks for all the efforts in bringing ZFS to FreeBSD.
>> I'm running 8.1-Release with v15 without any problems.
>>
>> I just copied a 21GB MySQL datadir from a linux box to my FreeBSD/zfs
>> workstation. Thanks to zfs compression the 21GB only consume 10GB on
>> zfs.
>> That's massive compression :-)
>
> Related to this, I have a question.

Related, but on its way to get off topic...

> Is it convenient to put databases on a compresed filesystem? Apart from
> the space advantage, does it give any speed advantage/penalty?

At work we use Solaris 10 with zfs and compression enabled for our
MySQL databases.
All InnoDB. No speed penalty and only really slight advantages. I tend
to say, it doesn't matter.
It gives you more disk space by a wee bit of more CPU consumption.
On the other hand, CPU is usually not your problem in a heavy load
MySQL scenario.
It's disc seek times...

> Anyone has some benchmark or objective data about this?

No benchmarks and no time right now to come up with some fancy graphs.

> Also are we talking about MyISAM or InnoDB tables? Or a mix of those?
InnoDB.

./Marian