very stupid mistake: a part of /usr is deleted

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 15 15:20:43 UTC 2010

On 09/15/10 15:36, Zara Kanaeva wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> vor 2 hours i made a very stupid mistake: i have deleted (as root
> naturally) a part of /usr-directory. I have definitely deleted .snap and
> presumably 100-150 files in /usr/bin.

> uname -a ->
> FreeBSD (XXXXXX).uni-tuebingen.de 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0:
> Sat Nov 21 15:02:08 UTC 2009
> root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

That is actually an easy situation to recover, you can do it in at least
these ways:

1) if you build/upgrade from source, you can either reinstall if you
have working /usr/obj or try and rebuild them if you have working /usr/src

2) if you have another machine with the same FreeBSD version and
architecture, simply copy the missing files (with tar, scp, ftp,
fetch/wget, etc...)

3) if you have networking and at least working fetch / ftp / wget, cat
and tar, you can fetch the files at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/8.0-RELEASE/base/ and
use install.sh to reinstall the base binaries

Remember that those files are not magical, you can restore them any way
you are able. You can even boot the live CD (from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/), mount
the appropriate file system and copy the files from the CD.