Freebsd 8.1 + xorg + radeonhd hang

Eivind E eivinde at terraplane.org
Tue Sep 14 21:34:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Warren Block wrote:

>>> Did you try the normal radeon driver (not radeonhd)?
>>> It supports the RV515 chip used by the X1550, too.
>>
>> Yeah, still hangs hard. Trying the normal radeon driver together
>> with Option "DRI" "False" as suggested to me in another mail
>> did let X start up once, but set the screen to much darker
>> colours (which also continued when exiting). Starting X
>> another time again made the machine hang again.
>
> Could you post pointers to your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log?  I wouldn't think
> the X1550 is very different from my X1650, which is AFAICT problem-free.

The xorg.conf was in my initial mail on the subject. The problem with
Xorg.0.log is that it seems that the file is not written (or still
in some buffer, not on disk) when the machine hangs. I'm
thinking about nullmodem or an old line printer and redirecting
output from X, problem is that my parallel and serialports which is on
a card needing the puc driver hasn't worked since upgrading
to 8.1... Don't know if it would be possible to get the file
if I mounted /var/log from nfs.

I'll repost the xorg.conf here

Section "ServerLayout"
 	Identifier     "Layout0"
 	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 	InputDevice    "Tastatur" "CoreKeyboard"
 	InputDevice    "Mus" "CorePointer"
 	Option	"AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
 	# Load "freetype"
 	# Load "xtt"
 	Load  "extmod"
 	Load  "glx"
 	Load  "dri"
 	Load  "dbe"
 	Load  "record"
 	Load  "xtrap"
 	Load  "type1"
 	Load  "speedo"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 	Identifier  "Mus"
 	Driver      "mouse"
 	Option	    "Protocol" "Auto"
 	Option	    "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
 	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 	Identifier  "Tastatur"
 	Driver      "keyboard"
 	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc101"
#	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
 	Option	    "XkbLayout" "no"
 	Option	    "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 	Identifier   "Skjerm"
 	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
 	VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
 	Identifier  "Grafikkort"
 	Driver      "radeonhd"
 	Option	"HPD" "off"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 	Identifier "Screen0"
 	Device     "Grafikkort"
 	Monitor    "Skjerm"
 	DefaultDepth     16
 	SubSection "Display"
 		Depth     16
 		Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
 	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"