Freebsd 8.1 + xorg + radeonhd hang

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Mon Sep 13 22:40:40 UTC 2010

On 09/13/10 18:04, Eivind E wrote:

> Tried to substitute the driver with ati and loading radeon.ko (which
> automatically loaded drm.ko) and had the same results as the plain
> radeon driver. X starts up once in a while, but the screen goes
> to about half of normal brightness and the view is moved down and to the
> right.

You could try experimenting with the AccelMethod option.  I've got a
newer gpu, but this is what is working for me with a 4200 + freebsd 8.1
at work.

Section "Module"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "dri"
         Load  "dri2"
EndSection

(for the card)

         Driver      "radeon"
         VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
         BoardName   "RS880 [Radeon HD 4200]"
         BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
         Option          "AccelMethod" "exa"
         Option  "DRI" "yes"

FreeBSD lholt-desktop.primemediaanalysis.com 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD
8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 19 02:36:49 UTC 2010
root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64