Freebsd 8.1 + xorg + radeonhd hang

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 13 21:32:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:16:48PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Eivind E <eivinde at terraplane.org> wrote:
>  > One of my machines has a Radeon X1550 graphics card. When first
>  > installed (then as either 7.1 or 7.1 prerelease), the radeonhd driver
>  > hung the machine hard, screen went blank, numlock and capslock
>  > didn't work, no network (so no ssh) and I couldn't do much but
>  > hard reset the machine. I had to use vesa for a while, then, after
>  > upgrading, the radeonhd driver worked up until fairly recent upgrades.
>  > Sadly I didn't try the driver very often so I don't know if upgrading
>  > src or xorg+drivers helped the problem.
>  >
>  > The machine is now running FreeBSD 8.1, but after rebuilding all
>  > packages via ports, the problem with the radeonhd driver is back,
>  > showing exactly the same behaviour as before.
>
> Did you try the normal radeon driver (not radeonhd)?
> It supports the RV515 chip used by the X1550, too.

Keep in mind that normal radeon driver is called x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
now.

If you load the drm.ko and radeon.ko (and maybe agp.ko) kernel models with
this driver, you'll have accellerated 3D as well as 2D (both XAA and the newer
EXA). Works like a charm on my Radeon X 1650 Pro, and should work with your
card as well.

Roland