MSIX failure

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Sep 11 08:11:02 UTC 2010

John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Friday, September 10, 2010 2:55:15 am perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > It is arguably a bug to open O_RDWR when only examining things.
>
> You have to have RDWR permission to issue the ioctl to read config
> registers which pciconf does when examining capabilities.

So much for avoiding a reboot for <bsd at lordcow.org> (or whatever the
correct address is -- that one bounced), but now it is beginning to
look as if there may be a POLA violation at a lower level.  Unless
there are devices out there whose state can be changed by merely
_reading_ (not writing) their configuration registers, I would not
expect to need RDWR permission just to read them.