Degraded zpool cannot detach old/bad drive

Rumen Telbizov telbizov at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 19:53:24 UTC 2010

Hi Artem, everyone,

Here's the latest update on my case.
I did upgrade the system to the latest stable: 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
#0: Sun Oct 31 11:44:06 PDT 2010
After that I did zpool upgrade and zfs upgrade -r all the filesystems.
Currently I am running zpool 15 and zfs 4.
Everything went fine with the upgrade but unfortunately my problem still
persists. There's no difference in this aspect.
I still have mfid devices. I also tried chmod-ing as you suggested /dev/mfid
devices but zfs/zpool didn't seem to care and imported
the array regardless.

So at this point since no one else seems to have any ideas and we seem to be
stuck I am almost ready to declare defeat on this one.
Although the pool is usable I couldn't bring it back to exactly the same
state as it was before the disk replacements took place.
Disappointing indeed, although not a complete show stopper.

I still think that if there's a way to edit the cache file and change the
devices that might do the trick.

Thanks for all the help,
Rumen Telbizov

--