linux_base-f10 [Was: Re: VirtualBox OpenSolaris guest becomes: portmaster]

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Fri Oct 29 16:25:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:09:39PM +0200, Harald Weis wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:32:04AM -0400, Alex Goncharov wrote:
> > ,--- You/Harald (Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:02:27 +0200) ----*
> > | What else could I possibly do?
> >
> > | - portmaster www/opera-linuxplugins   # installing linux_base-f10-10_3,
> > |   then stopping as follows:
> > | ===>  Installing for linux-f10-expat-2.0.1
> > | ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > | brandelf: error opening file usr/bin/xmlwf: No such file or directory
> > | *** Error code 1
> >
> > | Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/linux-f10-expat.
> >
> > I am not using portmaster; try do it simply through make.  I just did
> > it now:

> > cat /compat/linux/etc/fedora-release
> > Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)
>
> Ah, I see, that's it. I can't run this cat command because my
> /compat/linux directory is empty. Obviously it went always wrong with
> portmaster emulators/linux_base-f10. This command should have populated
> the linuxbase, i.e. /compat/linux, directory if I understand correctly.
> The script (I kept it) shows no problem whatsoever. The Makefile says
> clearly to use the linuxbase as prefix for installation.
> Portmaster seems to be responsible here. Please note that portmaster
> is my friend since July 2008. Without any problem! In my humble
> opinion portmaster is quite an extraordinary tool. By far I prefer it to
> portupgrade.
> Presently, there seems to be a problem just with the linux stuff.
> Doug, may I ask you for help please ?
>
> Now I will go and reinstall for the third time all ports with
> portmaster  `cat ~/installed-port-list` which did work like a charm last
> time and then install the linux ports with make.

I've done it and there is absolutely no change. In fact, I am not
surprised. It was unreasonable to accuse portmaster which works fine for
all ports. Why should it fail only for the linux ports?

I cannot find out why the linux_base-f10 files are not installed in the
linuxbase (/compat/linux). The typescript says:
<extract>
===>  Patching for linux_base-f10-10_3
===>  Configuring for linux_base-f10-10_3
===>  Building for linux_base-f10-10_3
===>  Installing for linux_base-f10-10_3
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if emulators/linux_base-f10 already installed
274736 blocks

+++ Some programs may need linprocfs, please add it to /etc/fstab! +++

Running linux ldconfig...

This software is based in part on the work of the FreeType Team.
See <URL:http://www.freetype.org/>.

Installation of the Linux base system is finished. The Linux kernel
mode, which must be enabled for Linux binaries to run, is now
enabled. Linux mode can be enabled permanently with the linux_enable
variable of rc.conf(5).
</extract>

NOTHING has been installed in /compat/linux in spite of the
USE_LINUX_PREFIX=yes line in Makefile.

No wonder that the system gets broken. This time I've succeeded in
repairing it - more or less - without reinstalling _all_ ports. As I
said earlier, nothing in the typescript indicates that something went
wrong.

Testing the LINUXBASE variable is also alright:
me at pollux:/<3>linux_base-f10 # make clean
===>  Cleaning for linux_base-f10-10_3
me at pollux:/<3>linux_base-f10 # make -V LINUXBASE
/compat/linux
me at pollux:/<3>linux_base-f10 #

For the next (fourth) experiment I would like to run
"make install WITH_DEBUG=yes" .

Is that okay or is there a better way?

Thank you in advance,
Harald