cdrtools /devel and wodim broken

Jakub Lach jakub_lach at mailplus.pl
Tue Oct 26 10:41:55 UTC 2010

Joerg Schilling-3 wrote:

> wodim is a dead end from a 6 year old version of cdrecord with the DVD
> support
> ripped off and replaced by something broken. But there have been even more
> bugs
> added to wodim and it is not under "development" since May 2007.
>
> If cdrecord gives the same message, I encourage you to make a kernel bug
> report.
> This message is a hint to a serious kernel problem. A sense key value -1
> cannot
> happen, so you need to find out why the SCSI command has not been
> transported
> correctly by the kernel.

Hi Jörg.

I usually prefer cdrtools, wodim was convenient way to
try old code.

After booting GENERIC kernel + ahci driver and compiling
cdrtools release problem is still present.

Full message.

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Assuming -sao mode.
cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (amd64-unknown-freebsd8.1) Copyright (C)
1995-2010 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
SCSI buffer size: 65536
atapi: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-U20N '
Revision       : 'HX11'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording (current)
Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
Profile: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM driver (mmc_dvd).
Driver flags   : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
Drive buf size : 1114112 = 1088 KB
Drive pbuf size: 1966080 = 1920 KB
Drive DMA Speed: 15100 kB/s 85x CD 10x DVD 3x BD
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  2858 MB
Total size:     2858 MB = 1463428 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
Total power on  hours: 0
Blocks total: 2298496 Blocks current: 2298496 Blocks remaining: 835068
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 8 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
BURN-Free is ON.
Turning BURN-Free off
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    0 of 2858 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1:
scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0xFFFFFFFF [], Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 23.946s timeout 200s

write track data: error after 0 bytes
cdrecord: A write error occured.
cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
Writing  time:   29.002s
Average write speed  74.7x.
Fixating...
Fixating time:   22.355s
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

I destroyed all my spare media, so I'm also spared from burning problems
for now ;)

I'm quite puzzled that only I have reported such problems,
it's like I'm on CURRENT again..

best regards,
- Jakub Lach