POSIX file permission (understanding) problem?

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Mon Oct 25 21:38:01 UTC 2010

schrieb Harald Schmalzbauer am 25.10.2010 23:20 (localtime):
> Hello,
>
> am I complete stupid or is there a serious problem with 8.1-RELEASE:
> I can write files which I have no write access to, if I have write
> access to the directory of the file.
> This means file permission mode is irrelevant if the user has write
> access to the directory of the file. I can hardly believe that this is
> intentional. Why does a write lead to owbership changes?
> How should I give users write access to directories but prohibit
> deliting particular files? Do I have to use uunlnk flag?
> Sorry for that basic question, but I must have been missing something in
> the last 10 years...

Sorry for the noise,

digging through lots of not-deep-enough information I finally found:
http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/aunix1/filepermissions.htm

Now I can remember that I already was upset about this, one decade ago,
and there was a reason not to use the POSIX permission model at all for
so long.
In that particular case I'll have to use the uchg flag.

Sorry again for the noise!