Name and JID support in /etc/rc.d/jail and jail(8) documentation

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Oct 24 12:50:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Spil Oss wrote:

Hi,

> Created a small patch for 8.1 to add name support to /etc/rc.d/jail.
> This doesn't upgrade /etc/rc.d/jail to the overhauled invocation of
> 8.0 but merely adds the ability to set a jail's name on start which
> was added in FreeBSD 7.2 (May 2009).
>
> Could this patch be considered to be applied to stable?
>
> # diff -ruN /etc/rc.d/jail-8.1 /etc/rc.d/jail
[snip]

short answer: no

1) add -n <name> to the defaults of jail_<n>_flags in rc.conf and be done
    just now.  No need for a new variable.
2) you want to follow the new jail management on the freebsd-jail list.
    I would expect that there will just be no further changes to the rc
    script unless security related ones.

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Spil Oss <spil.oss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When starting a jail you can, as of 8.0 if I'm not mistaken, set the
>> JID and name for a jail. This change doesn't seem to have been
>> incorporated into the /etc/rc.d/jail script? Looking at
>> http://wiki.polymorf.fr/index.php/Howto:FreeBSD_jail_vnet it wouldn't
>> be a huge change to add name support. The other additions in that
>> script look a lot more intrusive. Are there any plans to merge this
>> patch into the jail rc-script or is this "v2" style of jail invocation
>> still considered to be experimental? As of 8.1 is seems to no longer
>> be considered experimental looking at the release notes.

The new style version was never considered "experimental".  It wasn't
just not advertised that much due to the lack of 2) above.

>> The jail(8) documentation (mine lists FreeBSD 8.1 January 17, 2010)
>> seems to be missing documentation on the vnet command (due to the
>> experimental status)?

Right, vnets are still considered experimental.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.
         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!