repeating crashes with 8.1

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sat Oct 23 01:11:55 UTC 2010

At 08:01 PM 10/22/2010, Chris Morrow wrote:
>Note, Warren and I attempted to test this this evening on a 10.04 Ubuntu
>box, no crashy-crashy...

I was able to do it, but not the box I expected

4 boxes

(a) Attacking host 2001:db8:1:1/64
(b) victim, not on a connected interface with a). Outside interface -
em0 - 2001:db8::2:1/64, inside interface - em1 - 2001:db8::3:1/64
(c) a host behind (b) 2001:db8::3:c/64
(d) a host behind (b), 2001:db8::3:d/64

hosts (c) and (d) have default gateways to b).  (c) however, has a
next hop for (a) via (d).  So rather than go out its normal default
gateway, it takes an extra hop via (d).

Start a ping6 from (a) to (c).  Then down (d)'s interface so that the
ping6 fails.  Let the ping keep running for an hour or
two.  Eventually (b) gets error messages like

Oct 22 18:38:32 zoo kernel: em1: discard frame w/o packet header

and crashes.

Unfortunately, I thought it would be (c) that crapped out, not (b)
and I didnt have crash dumps enabled on the host.  Just in the
process of setting up a better environment.

         ---Mike

>-chris
>
>On 10/22/10 16:27, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> > Ok I'll try testing that on some box I can reach with both hands.
> >
> > fyi nagasaki is:
> >
> > [root at nagasaki ~]# uname -a
> > FreeBSD nagasaki.bogus.com 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #13:
> > Sun May 30 22:19:23 UTC 2010
> > root at nagasaki.bogus.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> > [root at nagasaki ~]#

> >> yes, kernel and world from 21 oct
> >>
> >> chris had an idea on retrigger, install a static for a small dest that
> >> points to a hole.  send a packet to the small dest.
> >>
> >> randy

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike at sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike