Correct procedure for cross-compilation

Simon Chang sector214 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:56:42 UTC 2010

To all,

I recently received an older AMD Athlon 64 3400+ machine, 1 GB of RAM and
200 GB of SATA disk.  I have installed the 64-bit amd64 version of FBSD
7.3-STABLE on this box and everything is running perfectly.

I have several other smaller, far less powerful 32-bit i386 machines, which
need to be built from the same version as the 64-bit amd64 machine.  I was
able to buildworld and buildkernel successfully by issuing these commands in
this order:

make TARGET=i386 buildworld
make TARGET=i386 KERNCONF=machine-1 buildkernel

But when I exported /usr/src and /usr/obj read-only from the AMD machine and
mounted them through machine-1, and I tried to installkernel from machine-1,
I kept running into errors right at the beginning of the process.

Can someone tell me the canonical way of performing cross compilation and
installation?

Thank you,

Simon Chang