repeating crashes with 8.1

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 22 14:49:15 UTC 2010

On 10/22/10 16:25, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 10:18 AM 10/22/2010, Randy Bush wrote:
>> > Do you know how this panic is triggered ? Are you able to
>> > create it on demand ?
>>
>> no i do not.  bring server up and it'll happen in half an hour.
>>
>> and the server was happy for two months.  so i am thinking hardware.
>
> Perhaps. The reason I ask is that I had a box go down last night with
> the same set of errors.  The box has a number of ipv6 routes, but its
> next hop was down and the problems started soon after. So I wonder if it
> has something to do with that.  Do you have ipv6 on this box and are all
> the next hop addresses correct / reachable ?
>
> Oct 22 02:06:02 i4 kernel: em1: discard frame w/o packet header
> Oct 22 02:06:10 i4 kernel: em2: discard frame w/o packet header
> Oct 22 02:06:21 i4 kernel: em1: discard frame w/o packet header

FWIW I had a series of crashes with those characteristics which I
suspected were IPv6 or 6to4-related on 8.0-RELEASE and 8-STABLE which
eventually made me give up on IPv6 - it was crashing too often (couple
of times a week).

I have at least a couple of threads on this on freebsd-net@ (without
resolution).