ZFS wrong size stats with amavis

Giulio Ferro auryn at zirakzigil.org
Fri Oct 22 13:04:00 UTC 2010

I've seen people discuss about this and it happened to me as well.

Freebsd 8.1 stable 25th september amd64
This server has one single boot disk with ufs + 1 array (hardware, 3ware)
which hold 2,7TB data. I've formatted the latter with ZFS.

Things seemed to work ok until I upgraded the system. One day the server
jails didn't boot anymore. I checked and the array occupation was 100% with
0 byte free.

This sounded strange, so I found a hidden file under
/var/amavis/.spamassassin.
I removed the dir, started again, but after a while it grew again until
the system became unusable.

This is how I solved: I moved the amavis partition under UFS, then
mounted with nullfs that dir under /var in the zfs jail.

I solved in the sense that it didn't grow anymore, but the fs occupation
stayed very near 100%, with only 1GB free space.

If I launch du -s under /zfs (host machine, not jail) I get a total space
of about 750GB, but df -h always turns up with 2,7TB space occupied.

I tried a zpool upgrade zfs and zpool scrub zfs, but to no avail.

What should I do. short of moving the data, destroying the pool and
creating it again (which I can't very easily do)?

Thanks.