kpanic on install >32GB of RAM [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 22 09:47:05 UTC 2010

On 10/21/10 21:06, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 09:50:03AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
>>>
>>> That should work.
>>> BTW, here I described "yet another" way of building custom recovery/installation
>>> CDs that I use:
>>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AvgLiveCD
>>>

>> Before I get started on this, it looks like something else is going on.
>>
>> Here is a panic + trace on the latest 9-current snap shot.  "hammer
>> time" indeed.
>>
>> Suggestions are welcome!
>>

>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/9-current-panic.png
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/9-current-trace-panic.png
>
> It feels like msgbufp variable has absurd value. Can you arrange
> to get the output of verbose boot, esp. the SMAP lines ?

This is probably completely wrong for this problem but in the tiny case
it isn't, maybe it will give someone an idea: I remember in the old
times (tm) that there was a trick by which the msgbuf is supposed to be
preserved across soft reboots. I don't know the details, and it might
just be valid for i386 but part of that deal could be that some code
tries to parse that memory area for valid msgbuf and due to some
garbage, fails with such a panic.