BIOS limitations on size of bootable zpool?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 19:16:35 UTC 2010

On 21/10/2010 18:32, Emil Smolenski wrote:
>  I think I've encountered the same problem as you. In my configuration
> there is also HP server with HP SmartArray with six disks configured as
> single disk RAID0 logical units. I don't think it is related to size of
> the pool (try to test with small GPT partitions -- for me it also
> doesn't work). I think it is something with this specific hardware and
> ZFS. I will provide more details soon, but for know could you test
> following configurations:
> - mirror (it works for me),
> - raidz(2) (it doesn't work for me),
> - raidz(2) but without SmartArray controller -- adX or adaX disks (it
> works for me).

Ah -- I'm afraid I can't do that.  This server is officially in
production use now (well, it would be if it was up) and contains a lot
of valuable data.  I'd be happy to back it up and try what you suggest,
but this machine is /the/ backup server...

I will note that we've had the machine running with (and booting from) a
raidz2 and a raidz1 over 6 drives, perfectly happily.  It's only when we
tried to double the available space and drives that it all went a bit
pear shaped.

> Please try 'status' command while seeing "ZFS: i/o error..." message.

Hmmmm... will do.  Might be next week before I can report back though.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3