VirtualBox OpenSolaris guest [becomes: linux-f10-expat]

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Mon Oct 18 12:02:37 UTC 2010

Sorry for the long delay.
It was and remains an apparent linux-f10-expat problem
and I strongly believe that I am not responsible.
Please continue reading.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 04:21:16PM -0400, Alex Goncharov wrote:
> ,--- You/Harald (Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:56:29 +0200) ----*
> | www/opera built and installed quickly. I really like it, except for the
> | crash on exit. The workaround does apply for me as well.
> |
> | www/opera-linuxplugins stopped with
> |
> | ===>  Installing for linux-f10-expat-2.0.1
> | ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> | brandelf: error opening file usr/bin/xmlwf: No such file or directory
> | *** Error code 1
>
> Do you have this:
>
> --------------------
> kldstat | grep linux
> =>
>  9    1 0xffffffff80c4b000 1ca6a    linux.ko

Yes, linux.ko is loaded since ages via linux_enable="YES" in rc.conf

> mount -p | grep  /compat/linux
> =>
> linprocfs               /usr/compat/linux/proc     linprocfs       rw 0 0

No, linprocfs was not mounted at that moment. According to the Handbook
it is not required at the moment of installing www/nspluginwrapper,
emulators/linux_base-f10 and www/linux-f10-flashplugin10.
Following the Handbook, I've installed many times Firefox and Flash
Plugin and it always has worked when I installed Flash the same day or
the day after all the other ports.
As you will see further down, the trouble of the last days comes always
with the installation of textproc/linux-f10-expat.

> | This is exactly the sort of problem I've encountered whenever I tried to
> | install all that linux stuff required just for the Flash plugin some weeks
> | after all other ports.
>
> I believe you need to figure these things out, Flash or not Flash.
> Looks like Linux compatibility issues; they should not be that hard to
> fix.  Start with the basics:
>
> ----------
> emulators/linux_base-f10
> x11/linux-f10-xorg-libs
> textproc/linux-f10-aspell
> ----------
>
> look at your logs, make sure that all installs correctly.

Well, let me briefly recall the actions I took from the moment of the
first desaster up to now.
- system is 8.0-RELEASE with all 500 ports installed and running okay
  and I decide to install opera, opera-linuxplugins and
  linux-f10-flashplugin10
- portmaster www/opera     # no problem
- portmaster www/opera-linuxplugins   # installing linux_base-f10-10_3,
  then stopping as follows:
===>  Installing for linux-f10-expat-2.0.1
===>   Generating temporary packing list
brandelf: error opening file usr/bin/xmlwf: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/linux-f10-expat.

===>>> Installation of linux-f10-expat-2.0.1 (textproc/linux-f10-expat)
failed

- xmlwf exists in /usr/local/bin. Making a symbolic link and repeating
  portmaster www/opera-linuxplugins. Same result.
- When I saw several "Shared object has no run-time symbol table" errors
  I decided to switch to 8.1 (just to be up-to-date again) and to
  reinstall all ports.
- /usr/sbin/freebsd-update -r 8.1-RELEASE upgrade   # runs like a charm as
  usual
- reinstall all ports inclusive opera following portmaster(8), but
  manually one (root|leaf) port after the other.   # no problem as usual,
  then (intentionally same command as before because portmaster takes
  care of build- and run-depends and I never read that the linux_base
  port is exceptional in this respect.
- portmaster www/opera-linuxplugins  # stopping exactly as above
- editing my last message
- impossible to send it because postfix needs pcre and pcre is broken
  like the last time:
Output of the delivery process
-- (all)
Error sending message, child exited 1 ().

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0: Shared object has no
run-time
+symbol table

- reinstalling pcre (portmaster devel/pcre) permits to send the message,
  but other shared libraries, namely libgcc_s.so.1 required to start X,
  remain obviously broken (no run-time symbol table). No idea how to
  repair that.
- reinstalling all ports including opera, this time without human
  intervention using:
- portmaster `cat ~/installed-port-list`  # takes about 6 hours, but
  allows you to read a book without interruption if you remove ports
  like procmail and postfix which require a very minor intervention.
- checking dependencies for opera-linuxplugins:
me at pollux:/<3>opera-linuxplugins # make build-depends-list
me at pollux:/<3>opera-linuxplugins # make run-depends-list
/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10
/usr/ports/textproc/linux-f10-expat
/usr/ports/www/opera
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/linux-f10-fontconfig
/usr/ports/x11/linux-f10-xorg-libs

- checking dependencies for linux_base-f10:
me at pollux:/<3>linux_base-f10 # make build-depends-list
/usr/ports/archivers/rpm
me at pollux:/<3>linux_base-f10 # make run-depends-list
me at pollux:/<3>linux_base-f10 #

- portmaster emulators/linux_base-f10  # installs fine as usual

- checking dependencies for linux-f10-expat:
me at pollux:/<3>linux-f10-expat # make build-depends-list
/usr/ports/archivers/rpm
me at pollux:/<3>linux-f10-expat # make run-depends-list
/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10

- portmaster textproc/linux-f10-expat  # stops as usual and breaks the
  whole system as usual, see above

In short, I have the impression that there is a bug either in rpm or in
linux-f10-expat.

What else could I possibly do?
Harald Weis