mouse problems....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Oct 13 17:29:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 09:03:21AM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Polytropon wrote:
>
> >Correct. If you disable HAL, and your X is configured to run *WITH*
> >HAL, it won't run anymore. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and if not
> >present, create it) to make X work *WITHOUT* HAL.
> >
> >How it is to be done is described here:
> >
> >http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html
>
> I've followed only parts of this thread, and there are multiple
> problems.  First is installing X on a server.  Second is a KVM
> switch, many of which are problematic.  Next is that the KVM
> converts USB to PS/2, which... well, maybe it's fine.  Finally, a
> "jumpy mouse" problem with moused on console screams that it's the
> KVM, not moused or USB or xorg config.

	Interesting that the mouse jumpiness has disappeared.  I can
	switch to <-> computers by KVM and no problem.  I'm about to
	add:

	Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off" to my xorg.conf

	Done.  I just noticed that in rc.conf is:

	# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Wed Oct 13 08:03:06 2010
	moused_port="/dev/ums0"
	moused_type="auto"
	moused_enable="NO"

	and yet the console mouse is present.  Strange... .

> My suggestion would be to *not* install X on a server.  If it's
> really required, use an actual keyboard and monitor on that server
> for those times when ssh -X/-Y aren't enough, and avoid the KVM.
>
> >If you use a USB mouse, set moused_enable="NO", as the USB subsystem
> >will call moused with the correct settings automatically.
>
> USB mice cause moused to be run anyway, but there are differences.
> If you want switching between X and console to be fast, enable
> moused.

	I vastly prefer X11 because it allows xterms and more.  X is
	necessary on my server because of my UPS as well as because it
	will be my new printserver.

	okay, time for the big reboot... .

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org