Problem with security log

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Wed Oct 13 10:25:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:03:36AM +0200, Marcin wrote:

>> > There isn't a 100% reliable way to get rid of this problem.  I've been
>> > harping about this for years (sorry to sound like a jerk, but this
>> > really is a major problem that keeps coming up and annoys users/admins
>> > to no end.  There are solutions -- Linux solved it by implementing a
>> > lockless circular ring buffer[1] used by kmsg).
>> >
>> > The """workaround""" -- which again, does not solve the problem, only
>> > decreases the regularity of it happening (and when it does happen, can
>> > sometimes decrease how much interspersed output there is) -- is to add
>> > the following line to your kernel config and rebuild/reinstall your
>> > kernel:
>> >
>> > options         PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128    # Prevent printf output being interspersed.
>> >
>> > This option became part of the GENERIC kernel configuration file at the
>> > following times:
>> >
>> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC#rev1.529
>> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC#rev1.517
>> >
>> > Depending on what release/tag you follow, you may or may not find the
>> > above commit/change in your GENERIC file.  I can't be bothered to track
>> > down what time the CVS tagging was done, for multiple architectures,
>> > etc...
>> >
>> > [1]: http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/trace/ring-buffer-design.txt
>>
>> Hi Jeremy,
>> I have compiled kernel with this option and unfortunately problem still exist...
>> Do you have another idea how can i improve my log file? :)
>
> I was incorrect in my understanding/prognosis, so as Andriy pointed out,
> the option won't solve your problem.
>
> It sounds like the only way to solve this issue is to improve/fix the
> msgbuf code.  Alternatively, you could consider moving from ipfw to
> pf(4) and use pflog(4) / pflogd(8).

or you can use the log option of ipfw and run tcpdump on the "ipfw0"
pseudo interface
which will give you all the traffic that matches a 'log' rule (there
is a sysctl variable that
controls whether log goes to syslog or to the ipfw pseudo interface)

cheers
luigi