Label question...why does ufs label vanish on mount?

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Wed Oct 13 05:12:07 UTC 2010

On 12.10.2010 22:51, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> For some reason the /dev/ufs/label entry that geom creates for every UFS
> formatted partition is deleted when the device is mounted. This is not
> the case for other file systems, though I have not tried them all. It
> makes the drive much harder to deal with when you have to keep track of
> which physical drive contains the labeled media. It is a particular
> issue for hald and the tools which depend on it.
>
> Is there a good reason for this odd behavior of UFS? If there is not a
> good reason, could it be changed?

When you are opening provider for writing (i.e. mount FS) GEOM(4)
initiates SPOILING and all consumers that are attached to this provider
except one will self-destroyed. When you are closing provider GEOM(4)
initiates TASTING and consumers can return back. Look at man 4 geom
for details.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov