Label question...why does ufs label vanish on mount?

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Tue Oct 12 20:01:26 UTC 2010

Am 12.10.2010 um 20:51 schrieb Kevin Oberman:

> For some reason the /dev/ufs/label entry that geom creates for every UFS
> formatted partition is deleted when the device is mounted. This is not
> the case for other file systems, though I have not tried them all. It
> makes the drive much harder to deal with when you have to keep track of
> which physical drive contains the labeled media. It is a particular
> issue for hald and the tools which depend on it.

In 8, only the ones that are not mounted are removed; they are restored on unmount.  So when you mount the filesystem via it's label, that entry continues to exist.  And it's not limited to any particular label type, I've noticed the same with partitions that I used gmirror on.

IIRC, in 7 only the device entry remained, and all label entries were removed on mount.

> Is there a good reason for this odd behavior of UFS? If there is not a
> good reason, could it be changed?

I don't know, but I'm curious myself. When I asked this very question some time ago, I didn't get a response.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811