need help with BElkin KVM and USB mouse problems.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Oct 12 18:35:48 UTC 2010

Guys,

I've been using FreeBSD since 2.0.5, so I _should_ know by now that
not everything works with this OS; it's an unbeatable server, and
maybe I should leave it at this.

HEre is the situation: a friend installed a Belkin [SOHO] KVM
switch.  I am running Ubuntu on one desktop; FreeBSD on my server.
(And FreeBSD on my old desktop.)

The USB keyboard works fine everywhere. But my USB mouse fails on
the FreeBSD platforms when I try to run X11.  I *have* managed to get
the mouse working without X [i.e., in console mode]; and yes, the
cursor and the buttons work fine.  But once I launch X--even simple
apps like twm or ctwm, the mouse pointer is dead.

I've been messing with /dev/ums0; it fails because it is busy.

I just tried the trick of disabling the keyboard and the server
failed at first to reboot.  I am disabled and have one use of my
left hand; thus too much messing with hardware is a bit dicey.

Any ideas how I can get X _with_ mouse+keyboard working on my BSD
platforms?

tia,

gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php