Stale NFS file handles on 8.x amd64

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Nov 30 01:58:15 UTC 2010

On 11/29/10 20:35, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi, Adam--
>
> On Nov 29, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Adam McDougall wrote:
>> I've been running dovecot 1.1 on FreeBSD 7.x for a while with a bare minimum of NFS problems, but it got worse with 8.x.  I have 2-4 servers (usually just 2) accessing mail on a Netapp over NFSv3 via imapd. delivery is via procmail which doesn't touch the dovecot metadata and webmail uses imapd.  Client connections to imapd go to random servers and I don't yet have solid means to keep certain users on certain servers.
>
> Are you familiar with:
>
>    http://wiki1.dovecot.org/NFS
>
> Basically, you're running a "try to avoid doing this" configuration, but it does discuss some options to improve the situation.  If you can tolerate the performance hit, try disabling NFS attribute cache...
>
> Regards,

I am familiar with that page, have taken it into account, worked closly
with Timo the author of Dovecot and my mail servers have been running
close enough to perfect on 7.x for years.  The FreeBSD version is the
the only major change that I can think of at this point other than the
versions of other ports.  I'm planning to revert some to 7.x to make sure.