Old system keeps coming back

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Nov 28 14:34:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 03:04:31PM +0100, Jack Raats wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Raats" <jack at jarasoft.net>
> Subject: Old system keeps coming back
>

> >At this moment I hiring a FreeBSD server running FreeBSD 7.2.
> >After running cvsup, updating sources and ports, compiling the complete
> >system, installing kernel and the "new world", rebooting the
> >system gives the old sytem and not the freshly
> >compiled FreeBSD 7.4-PRERELASE.
>
> It seems that dmesg gives all system info. At he end it gives the
> FreeBSD 7.4-PRELEASE message.
>
> What the do so that dmesg gives the latest info?
> /etc/motd also is not updated. How to solve this?

Please follow the exact procedure documented in /usr/src/Makefile for
updating your system.  Do not change the order of the steps or skip
steps.

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'                         (you may wish to use -U or -ai).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)