snd_hda on Optiplex 980

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 25 19:46:25 UTC 2010

On 11/25/2010 11:12, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> Thanks for the hint here. I've just tried out pcm4 and pcm5 and they
> work fine. It's a bit of a reach for my headphone-jack, but I'm really
> glad to have something working now.

I have a 960 (thanks to the generosity of a user) and was recently given
the hint to add hw.snd.default_unit=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf so that the
front jacks are operational instead of the back. For your situation I'm
guessing that instead of 1 you would use (number-of-working-rear-jack +
1). You can change it with sysctl on the command line, and when you get
a working setup add it to /etc/sysctl.conf.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go