snd_hda on Optiplex 980

Jonathan Chen jonathan.chen at solnetsolutions.co.nz
Thu Nov 25 19:24:51 UTC 2010

On 26/11/2010 08:19, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 11:12, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>> Thanks for the hint here. I've just tried out pcm4 and pcm5 and they
>> work fine. It's a bit of a reach for my headphone-jack, but I'm really
>> glad to have something working now.
>
> I have a 960 (thanks to the generosity of a user) and was recently given
> the hint to add hw.snd.default_unit=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf so that the front
> jacks are operational instead of the back. For your situation I'm guessing
> that instead of 1 you would use (number-of-working-rear-jack + 1). You can
> change it with sysctl on the command line, and when you get a working setup
> add it to /etc/sysctl.conf.

I've got hw.snd.default_unit=5 for the 980, as pcm4 only activates the
internal speaker. The back-panel jack (and the front-panel, as it appears)
is hooked up to pcm5.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen at solnetsolutions.co.nz>
Solnet Solutions Limited                            t:   +64 9 9775800

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or postmaster at solnetsolutions.co.nz as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of Solnet Solutions Ltd.