TTY task group scheduling

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 19:14:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Alexander Best <arundel at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu Nov 18 10, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 06:23:24PM +0000 I heard the voice of
>> Alexander Best, and lo! it spake thus:
>> >
>> > judging from the videos the changes are having a huge impact imo.
>>
>> Well, my (admittedly limited, and certainly anecdotal) experience is
>> that Linux's interactive response when under heavy load was always
>> much worse than FreeBSD's.  So maybe that's just them catching up to
>> where we already are   ;)
>
> well...i tried playing back a 1080p vide files while doing
> `make -j64 buildkernel` and FreeBSD's interactivity seems far from perfect.
>
> it might be possible that linux'es interactivity was worse than freebsd's,
> but still this patch should be evaluated for freebsd. in this particular case
> it seems linux now does better than freebsd.

Maybe I'm just a lowly user and don't fully understand the issue, but
isn't this the whole reason for having /usr/bin/nice installed?

As in, if you don't want your make job to hog resources, then use nice
to run it in the background.

How does the work on the geom_sched (for I/O scheduling) play into this?

Am I missing something fundamental to the issue in question?

Also, does this really need to be cross-posted to -current, -hackers,
and -performance?

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com