chflags on zfs (sappnd)

George Mamalakis mamalos at eng.auth.gr
Wed Nov 17 11:13:38 UTC 2010

Hi everbody,

from http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS I understand that chflags are supported
by zfs. But if I have a file with sappnd on a zfs filesystem, I am
unable to execute a command like this:

# touch lili
# chflags sappnd lili
# ls -lrto lili
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  sappnd 5 Nov 17 12:38 lili
# echo "lala" >> lili
# echo "lala" >> lili
-su: echo: write error: Operation not permitted

So, the first time it worked, but it stops working on any consequent
time (when the file is no more empty).
I found a bug report on:

where a patch is suggested. Nevertheless, even though my sources are
newer than the suggested patch, my source tree does not contain it.
Do we know anything more about it?

# uname -a
FreeBSD myhost 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #1: Fri Nov  5 17:27:37 EET
2010     root@:/mnt/obj/mnt/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Thank you all for your time in advance,

mamalos

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379