Console options for legacy-free mini-itx server?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Nov 17 02:42:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Andrew Reilly wrote:
 > Hi there,
[..]
 > Oh: the other thing about this system: I can't warm-start
 > it, have to power down and then manually hit the power-on
 > button.  Attempting to reboot leaves the console sitting at
 > something like "Stopping other CPUs" forever.  I assume that
 > this is a BIOS config problem, but haven't found the right
 > control knob yet.  I've tried turning hyperthreading on and off:
 > no difference.  Reading the kernel code around that message
 > suggests that rebooting involves getting the keyboard controller
 > to send an NMI, and I wonder if the legacy-free no-keyboard
 > state of my system is having an effect on that, too?

I really don't know if this may be relevant, but spotted in your dmesg:

device_attach: acpi_perf1 attach returned 6
est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
device_attach: acpi_perf1 attach returned 6
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 16
device_attach: est1 attach returned 6
p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1

I'm used to seeing est either attach to both CPUs, or fail to attach to
either CPU.  Here it's attached to cpu0, but not to cpu1.  Is that odd?

cheers, Ian