8.1-RELEASE: snd_hda works as module only, suspend/resume leaves display off

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Tue Nov 16 20:46:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 08:06:01PM +0100, Stefan Walter wrote:
> Bruce Cran, 16.11.10, 15:44h CET:
>
> > On Monday 15 November 2010 09:37:09 Stefan Walter wrote:
> >
> > > Suspend To RAM (S3) works by using "acpiconf -s 3", and pushing the power
> > > button wakes the system up again. Everything seems to work, only the LCD
> > > monitor remains off. (There also seem to be occasional cases in which the
> > > keyboard doesn't work any more, but I haven't really looked at that, yet.
> > > Usually, the system comes back up properly.) Loading dpms(4) doesn't seem
> > > to make a difference. The only way to turn the display on again seems to
> > > be typing "shutdown -r now" blindly.
> >
> > What graphics card do you have? If it's nVidia, try building the driver with
> > ACPI_PM enabled and running "acpiconf -s3" from X11. That boots the video chip
> > up on my laptop at least - though it seems some corruption occurs because I've
> > had some odd panics afterwards in the fs and vm subsystems, and attempting to
> > suspend for a second time results in the system rebooting instead.
>
> It's an ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated on the mainboard, using
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati. It now works from the console with
> hw.acpi.reset_video=1. From within X11, it doesn't.

You could try this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2009/11/msg00006.html

Download && compile the code (gcc -o chvt chvt.c).
Add "$path/$to/chvt 1" to /etc/rc.suspend and "$path/$to/chvt 9" to
/etc/rc.resume, so that your machine automatically changes to ttyv0
before going to sleep and changes back to X after waking up.