Upgrading from 7.3 to 8.1: uname -a still shows 7.3p3

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Tue Nov 16 16:10:11 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 19:42, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the 8.1 sources, did a buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel,
> installworld.
> Now I have 8.1 binaries:
>
> server# file /bin/tcsh
> /bin/tcsh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for FreeBSD 8.1, stripped
>
> but not the kernel:
>
> server# uname -a
> FreeBSD server 7.3-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p3 #3: Tue Nov 16
> 01:12:23 CET 2010     root at server:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>

> How is that possible?
>
> Or is it just a mis-representation?
>
> kern.osreldate: 801000
>
> I did a csup twice and rebuilt the kernel multiple times.
> Also did a complete buildworld buildkernel cycle.

For whatever reason it seems that /sys/conf/newvers.sh was never updated
when your sources were updated. You should be able to confirm this by
looking through that file for '7.3'.

If that was not the case then I would believe you have a stale /usr/obj
that you should have removed before building kernel and world. If you
still have the original obj directory available to you then you should
be able to confirm this by looking through a file called vers.c that
would also contain the 7.3 string.

In any case you should verify that your sources are supposed to be what
they are, and one good way to do this is by running (svn status) if you
have checked your sources out via svn(1) 'devel/subversion-freebsd'

Good luck,

--

 jhell,v