ZFS panic after replacing log device

Michael DeMan freebsd at deman.com
Tue Nov 16 07:34:13 UTC 2010

Hi Terry,

I am no ZFS kernel-code dude or anything, but it is well known that losing the ZIL can corrupt things pretty bad with ZFS.

You may want to skim the archives at OpenSolaris ZFS discuss <zfs-discuss at opensolaris.org>

All in all, if I was in your situation I would give a whirl at installing OpenSolaris and going from there, being sure not to upgrade the pool version past what is supported by FreeBSD and going from there.

Unfortunately we all find ourselves in a bit of a pickle with ZFS right now with the Oracle acquisition of Sun.  For myself, I would stick with deploying on FreeBSD but I think its going to be FBSD 9.1 before its going to be truly ready for production.

Just my 2-cents.

- Mike