fetch hangs when trying to http-download from http://ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org/

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Fri Nov 5 20:12:35 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 20:59, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:50:48PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>> On 05/11/2010 19:17, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>>> This is an example, I can download the file with firefox,
>>> but fetch hangs infinitely, even though HTTP_TIMEOUT is set.
>>> http://ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/All/ecore-txt-0.9.9.042.tbz
>>
>> The problem has gone away.
>>
>> I suppose there's no way of debugging this without being able to
>> reproduce it. :(
>
> There's a lot of ways of debugging this, but "fetch -v" isn't going to
> provide enough information.  :-)  Hitting Control-T while the process is
> hung would help, ditto with (in another window) running procstat -kk on
> the PID of fetch, and "ps -axl | grep fetch".  ...

All that requires me to reproduce it.

> Finally, it would help if you could narrow down the problem to that
> single mirror server (ftp5.de.FreeBSD.org) or if it happens to you when
> using other servers as well.

I tried 9 mirrors, this was the only one that caused the problem. I
tried dozens of files, the problem occurred with all my attempts.

This is RELENG_8:
FreeBSD mobileKamikaze.norad 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Thu Oct 14 01:07:07 CEST 2010     root at mobileKamikaze.norad:/usr/obj/HP6510b-8/amd64/usr/src/sys/HP6510b-8  amd64