Fatal trap 18

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Fri Nov 5 14:53:53 UTC 2010

On 3 Nov 2010, at 2:40 AM, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> This problem seems to happen only on SMP systems that for some reason run as UP.
> E.g. because ACPI and/or APIC are disabled.
> Or some other BIOS configuration.
> But I am not sure what exactly is the case here.

Okay, I have been researching my UP/SMP problem.

In the past, before recent "Intel topology" changes, on my Toshiba Satellite U205 machine if I used a kernel with ACPI support, only 1 logical CPU showed up in FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE.  When I booted into Windows XP on the same machine, with the same BIOS settings, I would see 2 logical CPUs.  If I built a FreeBSD kernel WITHOUT ACPI support and left the BIOS settings as they were above, I then would see 2 logical CPUs.

Now with these recent FreeBSD changes I cannot get the machine to EVER recognize a 2nd logical processor, but if I boot into Windows XP I still see two CPUs, so we still have a bug in this new Intel topology code.

This laptop has an Intel Core Duo T2400 @ 1.83 GHz chip.  (The BIOS is set to provide multiple logical CPUs in all cases and Andriy, I am using your patched kernel.)

Is there anything else I can do to help you understand this system config?

What next?

Dan