Fatal trap 18

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Wed Nov 3 05:45:34 UTC 2010

FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE sometime after 10/28/2010 has caused a fatal boot error on my Toshiba U205, 1.8 GHz Core Duo laptop.

Many times every week I sync with STABLE and build everything.  I have been doing this for years.

I sync'd (via csup) and built on 10/28/2010 and everything was fine.

Then I sync'd yesterday 11/1/2010 and it crashes on boot.  The diagnostics print out the following:

---

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode

kdb_backtrace
panic
trap_fatal
trap
calltrap
topo_probe
cpu_topo
smp_topo
sched_setup
mi_startup

---

I reverted at the loader via boot /boot/kernel.old, resync'd today, rebuilt, and things are still broken.

Any ideas?

Dan Allen