Locking a file backed mdconfig into memory

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Mon May 31 22:15:03 UTC 2010

Dave Hayes <dave at jetcafe.org> writes:
> Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> writes:
>> CC'ing jhb@ since he last updated PR kern/120127 (which I would say is
>> still a problem on RELENG_7 :-) ).  John, are you aware of any gzip
>> decompression / mfsroot changes which might explain the problem on
>> RELENG_7?  I haven't done a "thorough" series of tests, but on my
>> testbed boxes RELENG_8 works fine with a gzip'd mfsroot.
> I can get you an iso that crashes when you try to boot it, if that
> will help?

Well this doesn't seem to be the compression issue, since I just tried a
test without compressing the ramdisk image. It still crashes. I'm back
to thinking it's the size of the ramdisk image itself, but really I've
no clue.
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
 In practice, there is."
                                 -- Jan L. A. Van De Snepscheut