Locking a file backed mdconfig into memory

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Mon May 31 18:25:52 UTC 2010

Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> writes:
> Is the mfsroot file compressed (.gz extension)?  Reason I ask is that
> the OP states he's using RELENG_7...

Yes it is compressed.

> http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_7.html#step7

Thanks much for this. I did a simple test, I rebuilt a DVD that wasn't
booting to use a lower level of compression (gzip -9 to gzip -6) on
mfsroot without changing anything else. This caused it to boot normally.

I'm not sure it's conclusive evidence, but it certainly looks like a
weak datapoint supporting this kernel bug being the source of my
problem.

Is this problem fixed in 8.0 or by a patch?
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Suggested definition of "sin": Trading aliveness for survival.