Locking a file backed mdconfig into memory

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Mon May 31 02:42:48 UTC 2010

Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> writes:
> This is how I do it in my quickie loader.rc:
>  include /boot/loader.4th
>  set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"
>  load /kernel
>  load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
>  start

I used to do exactly this back at FreeBSD 4.11 to boot off a cdrom.
Nice to know it still works this way.

Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> writes:
> However, what I'm having trouble understanding is what exactly
> preload_search_info() looks for and how all this actually connects
> and works.  It appears to me that there are specific drivers located in
> src/sys/dev that are KLD-supported and others which are expected to be
> included in the kernel statically.

Maybe this confusion explains why /dev/md0c is giving me random crashes
at the moment?

Of course, another theory might be the size of my initial ramdisk
(300Mb). Would there any known bug where booting off a large ramdisk
causes unreadable panics to flash past the console too rapidly to view?
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.
                                               -George Carlin