Locking a file backed mdconfig into memory

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri May 28 19:18:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:57:29AM -0700, Dave Hayes wrote:
> Clifton Royston <cliftonr at lava.net> writes:
> > It sounds like what you really want is to load the contents of the
> > specified file as a memory system?  That's not part of mdconfig's
> > repertoire, to the best of my recollection.
>
> So if, in /etc/loader.conf, I do this:
>
>  rootfs_load="YES"
>  rootfs_type="mfs_root"
>  rootfs_name="/mfsboot"
>  vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:md0"

I think you mean /boot/loader.conf?  And I think you meant this for
variable names, in addition to what vfs.root.mountfrom should be
(specific to RELENG_8):

mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/some/path/mfsroot"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"

If using RELENG_7 and the mfsroot was made on RELENG_7, replace
"/dev/md0" with "/dev/md0c".