gmirror panic with SiI 3726 when array is degraded

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 27 03:34:00 UTC 2010

technews wrote:
> So I've started using gmirror recently to mirror 2 1.5 TB drives however
> if I reboot the machine or 'gmirror stop -f data1' while the array is
> been rebuilt I get the panic below.
> Rebooting without geom_mirror loaded does not cause a panic
> Rebooting with geom_mirror loaded and the drives disconnected does not
> cause a panic.
> The drives are in an "Rosewill RSV-S4-X 4 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port
> Multiplier) JBOD / RAID 0, 1, 1+0, 5 Enclosure" connected over a SiI
> 3726 (rev=1706) adapter
> Rebooting with the drives mounted normally does not cause a panic
> I'm using the latest and greatest firmware, the panics occurred before
> the update

It would be nice if you build kernel with debugger and got a stack
backtrace to show where problem occurred.

Also, if you like your port multiplier to work much faster and stable -
I would strongly suggest you to update to 8-STABLE (or wait forthcoming
8.1-RELEASE, if you prefer releases) and use new siis(4) driver for your
SiI3132 SATA controller. Port Multiplier support in ata(4) driver left
in embryo level and won't be improved.

--
Alexander Motin