Problem, install Freebsd 8 in Adaptec 29320A, not recognizes raid

TJ Varghese tj at tjvarghese.com
Fri May 21 17:44:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Jean Pereira <admin at olostech.com> wrote:
> yes, is load ahd
>
> correct?
>
> On 05/20/2010 06:29 AM, Matthias Gamsjager wrote:
>>
>> did you load the driver?
>>
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Jean Pereira<admin at olostech.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a server that eighth in which I have a
>>> adaptec 29320A controller with two 36 GB Seagate drives in raid 0.
>>>
>>> When I go to install the freebsd it detects only disks and not the raid.

Avoid top posting. To answer your question, the 29320A-R is a scsi
card with HostRaid aka fake raid, no better than any built-in
integrated raid found on motherboards. Freebsd only sees the drives
rather than the raid array which needs a windows driver. You'd be
better served running raid-1 on gmirror or ZFS.