7.2 filesystem corruption

Bob Bishop rb at gid.co.uk
Fri May 21 10:50:52 UTC 2010

On 21 May 2010, at 09:21, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2010, Bob Bishop wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 21 May 2010, at 09:04, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> [...]I have a box (Dell PE 2970) running FreeBSD 7.2/amd-64.  6 GB of ECC RAM, and a Dell-branded LSI RAID controller (mpt driver). [tale of woe elided]
>>
>> For any case of spooky behaviour involving SCSI, make completely sure that the SCSI cabling is above suspicion. If it isn't, your sanity will be the first casualty.
>
> FWIW, this is SATA.  [etc]

I've had problems with some SATA drives either going `not ready' for a short time, or not going ready within the time expected by the controller. This can make some RAID controllers drop the disk for instance. As discussed elsewhere, error handling by some drivers leaves something to be desired.

--
Bob Bishop
rb at gid.co.uk