dtrace problem?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri May 21 08:51:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:22:17AM +0300, Nikolay Denev wrote:
> On May 21, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Marcus Reid wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Running a recent RELENG_8 (FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #0: Tue May 18 23:37:37
> > PDT 2010), I'm having a problem using dtrace.  For every .d file I attempt
> > to compile, I get:
> >
> >  dtrace: failed to compile script test.d: "/usr/lib/dtrace/psinfo.d", line 37: syntax error near "uid_t"
> >
> > This is my first attempt to use dtrace, so I can't be sure if it worked
> > before.  It happens with some scripts that can be assumed to be valid,
> > so it's not just me.  Is it broken for anyone else?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcus
>
> Hi,
>
> Have you rebuilt your kernel as described here : http://wiki.freebsd.org/DTrace
>
> I was once getting "uid_t" errors when my kernel was not compiled with "WITH_CTF" option.

Also be aware that building with WITH_CTF can/will break buildworld:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg107641.html

There were also some problems mentioned with rtld breaking when a user
introduced WITH_CTF to his buildworld.  (Possibly the rtld build is
static and that would explain it; not sure).

My point is: be aware and wary before enabling this.  :-)